Summer Garden from St. Petersburg
Summer Garden in St. Petersburg was founded in 1704 by order of Tsar Peter the Great who also was personally involved in its plan. Strict geometrical principles are specific to the Dutch baroque style, paths are symmetrical, the trees have perfect shapes, the wells are important focal points. The plan originally belongs to Leblon.
In the garden we find statues of marble brought from Europe and of course especially rare flowers and impressive fountains. It was originally created for the nobility of the court that organized here balls, outdoors parties . Also in the summer garden is located and the summer palace of Tsar Peter I, built by the great Italian architect Domenico Trezzini.
In 1777 the garden suffered major floods and many statues and fountains were destroyed. The garden was rebuilt after the initial plan. Today alleys are flanked by statues of 79 Italian sculptors Pietro Boratta, Bozzazza, Marino Gropelli, Alvise Tagliapietra, who lived in 17th and 18th centuries.
The statues have mythological themes, representing gods and heroes of antiquity. The initial number of statues were 200 and in the 20 century 90 of the statues that survived were placed inside buildings and the alleys of the park were located with modern replicas.
In the garden there is a huge fence designed by architect Yury Felten in 1773-1786. The wrought iron separate the Palace Square park. Fence has 36 granite columns decorated with urns, vases and it is impressive by the harmony of proportions, elegance and simplicity.
In the garden was also built the “coffee house” designed by Carlo Rossi in 1826, and” tea house” built by Ludwig Charlemagne in 1827. Coffee house was built on a grottoes created by Andreas Schlüter and Georg-Johann Mattarnovi in 1820.
A very famous statue is the statue of Russian fabulist Krylov Ilya, built in 1855 by Pyotr Klodt. The statue is decorated with a bas-relief on the themes in the story writer. Another important statue is the nymph Flora, of white marble designed by an unknown artist in the 18th century.
A special attraction is a fountain with scenes from Aesop’s fable, which is the oldest fountain in Russia. Initially a special mechanism was brought from England, which unfortunately was damaged during the floods of 1777.
Summer Garden in St. Petersburg has a dark history that in May 1866 Dmitry Karakozov tried to assassinate Czar Alexander the second, when he was walking on the footpath. To remind the lucky tsar was built a chapel. It was demolished by the Bolsheviks after the October Revolution.
The garden appears in the poems of Alexander Pushkin, in the areas of Tchaikovsky, poems Block, etc.. If initially was not open to ordinary people, can now be visited by anyone. Garden has two main entrances and is open to the public between 10 o’clock and 9 pm.